At this writing, on a cold and snowy January day, 2019 is off to a healthy start! The Stone County Developmental Disability Board is observing January with the theme of “Health and Fitness.” The anticipation of our first listening session in Crane, set for January 26, is important as the board fulfills its goal of being a presence throughout Stone County. [Read more…]
Governor Parsons has dedicated October as “Disability Employment Awareness Month” in Missouri with the goal of educating our state businesses and the general public about the value of employing disabled citizens. Governor Parsons proclaimed “People with disabilities bring new tools and ways of thinking to the table.” The governor’s declaration is in conjunction with the U. S. Department of Labor’s theme for 2018 which is “America’s Workforce: Empowers All.”
Stone County residents have more transportation options through Oats transit starting this month. On top of the usual routes offered, the non-profit transportation corporation is now providing express routes from Stone County to adjoining counties every Tuesday through Thursday. Additionally, in cooperation with the Stone County Developmental Disabilities Board, Oats is providing transportation for individuals with developmental disabilities to day programs, sheltered workshops and community employment.
One of the projects that the Stone County Developmental Disability Board has explored and is committed to bringing to Stone County is Project Lifesaver. The following information was taken directly from the Project Lifesaver website (https://projectlifesaver.org/about-us/) for explanatory purposes.
The Stone County Developmentally Disability (SCDDB) continues to work with the newly hired part-time executive director, LaDella Thomas, to further the progress of the board. Among the tasks that the board has charged to Director Thomas are:
- Serve as liaison with the Department of Mental Health to maximize funding possibilities through the waiver programs.
- Review all current Board policies, procedures, forms, budget, and bylaws
- Develop agenda for each Board meeting and email agenda to Board members and website host
- Provide monthly summary updates at each Board meeting
- Develop working relationships with area non for profit services providers and Link-ability Service Coordinators regarding what services the SCDDB can support and what services are needed
- Develop policies and procedures for employees (personnel manual)
- Work with the Vice Chair in establishing the Project Lifesaver program in Stone County
- Work with the SCDDB committees
- Obtain quarterly updates from all funded agencies regarding utilization and demographic data
- Explore options for community partners to utilize current office space
- Assist Finance committee and SCDDB with preparing annual budget
- Develop process and time frame for obtaining agency funding applications for 2019.
- Research the feasibility of the SCDDB providing services
- What services are most needed?
- What service gaps are the most prevalent?